Saturday, April 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, Riley!

Wow!! What a birthday Miss Riley had! She really enjoyed getting to spend time with her grandparents. Jason and I can't believe Riley is three years old. I remember when Riley was a baby people would come up to me in stores and say enjoy it because it goes by so fast. I would just laugh and go on my merry way. Well, now I find myself wanting to tell that to other woman that, yes indeed, enjoy it because it "does" go by so fast! Every day Riley keeps us laughing with her never-ending funny comments, creative imagination, and dramatic meltdowns. We love it all. Maybe we don't enjoy the meltdowns at the time, but they're sure a chuckle for Jason and I when we have endured!! I big high-5, for sure!!

Okay. Riley has entered a magical age, in her own world. For the first two weeks, she thought she had grown 3 feet. It was hilarious. Every time she would reach for something, she would say, with shock on her face, "Look, I can reach this! Boy, have I grown! Can you believe it?" She was amazed with herself for quite a while. I truly believe she thought 3 was a magical age and the world was going to open up. Afterall, this was the age she was able to start gymnastics without mom and dad, the age where she was able to play at McDonalds legally, use the play area at Ikea, and getting to use the "big kids'" room at daycare.

We love you so much, Riley! Happy birthday. Here's a poem that Dad and I agreed reminded us a lot of you:

“What Is A Little Girl!”
She's a bundle of sweetness, brightness & fun
The beauty of springtime, the warmth of the sun
She's Innocence covered with mud, sand, & soot
She's Motherhood dragging a doll by the foot...
She's a composite picture of giggles & tears
Of tantrums, excitement, amusement & fears
A bundle of mischief and often a tease
A creature of moods not easy to please...

Who'll capture your heart with her pixie-like grin
Or chatter and beg till your patience wears thin
But obedient, naughty, mischievous or coy
She's Mom's little Darling & Dad's Pride & Joy.

1 comment:

Cindy Marchant said...

That poem is perfect!! Wow!