Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Back to Daycare

Riley started daycare on the 15th of this month. I dropped her off at 9:00 a.m. and was there to pick her up at 12:00. Three hours that lasted a lifetime! She was okay the first day. Keep in mind, Riley and I had been visiting the week prior to get her used to the new family that she would be spending time with. She thought it was just another fun visit! She did very well. The next day, however, was more difficult. When I got to Ginger's house (the care provider's name), Riley was sitting on the floor with her favorite bear, Snuggles, and her favorite blanket wrapped around her shoulders. Oh, it could break your heart! I worked very hard in finding good care for Riley. I went to several daycares and interviewed three different families. I couldn't believe how hard it was. The daycares just had a feeling to them that I didn't really care for. I was about to give up and figured we were just going to have to do something else and wanted to cancel this last interview. Jason talked me into "one more". So off I went. As soon as Ginger opened the door, I felt a glimmer of hope, just a small one though as I had had this glimmer of hope at a few of the other prospects. There was Ginger holding a little baby in her arms and a very adorable little girl, Mya, hanging from her leg. Riley instantly liked her and Ginger wanted to know everything about Riley, likes, dislikes, et cetera. Mya took Riley's hand and rushed her into her bedroom and took out every toy she owned and scattered them on the floor. Ginger used to be a nurse and now has two young ones and wants to stay home with them for right now. She wants a play partner for her two year old, Mya, so she is taking in a child to care for. Much better than the one-to-seven ratio that you see in the daycares.

No comments: